Onam is a harvest festival and is the biggest celebration of state Kerala. Kadalaparippu Pradhaman is another classic dessert or traditional Payasam of Kerala. Every Onam I try to make different kinds of Pradhaman or Payasam, Here I’m sharing my recipe for Paruppu Pradhaman. Wishing all Keralites a Happy and Prosperous Onam.
Kadala Paruppu / Chenna Dhal 1 cup
Water 2 cups
Jaggery 300 gms
Thick Coconut milk 1 cup
Thin Coconut milk 2 cups
Powdered Cardamom 2 Tsp.
Dry Ginger Powder ½ Tsp.
Coconut slices 1 Tbsp.
Ghee 3 Tbsp.
Cashew nuts 2 Tbsp.
- Wash the Chenna dhal thoroughly. Pressure cooks it with 2cups of water for 3 whistles on medium high heat.
- Meantime, boil the jaggery in 1 cup of water so that it melts completely. Filter it and keep aside.
- Open the cooker lid, and check the dhal. The dhal should be well cooked but should not become a paste.
- Mash the chana dal with the back of a wooden spoon. Do not mash it to a very smooth paste.
- Heats a wide pan add the 2 tbsp. of ghee, cooked dhal and jaggery.
- Now pour the thin coconut milk, keep stirring, lower the heat to low and cook till the mixture has slightly thickened.
- Now add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder to the mixture. Combine well.
- Reduce heat and add the Thick coconut milk. Mix well and remove from the heat after a minute. DO NOT BOIL.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in another pan and roast the Cashew nuts and coconut, add it to the Pradhaman
- Drizzle 1 tbsp. ghee over the mixture.
- Serve in a dessert bowl.
Adjust the jaggery and coconut milk according to your preference.