Palada pradhaman is very popular dessert in Kerala .It is made on occasions like Vishu, Onam & marriage feasts. This a rich and delicious dessert and it is a fitting finale to the sadhya(feast), leaving your guest with unforgettable memories of the delicious Onam sadhya.
Instant ada 1 cup
Whole milk 2 ½ cups
Evaporated milk 1 tin
Water 1 cup
Sugar 1 ½ cup
Green Cardmons 6no. (crushed)
Saffron a pinch
Ghee 2 tbsp.
Cashews & almonds a handful
- Soak the adas in water for 30 minutes Wash & drain in cold water 2-3 times until water is clean.
- Place a heavy bottom vessel and add in one cup of water and allow it to boil. Add ada into it. When its almost cooked drain the water and keep aside.
- Pour the milk , evaporated milk and saffron into the thick bottom non stick vessel, heat it.when it boils, add the sugar and continue boiling until it thickens.
- When it is well reduced or thickened, add the cooked ada pieces into it. Cook it in very low flame.
- Finally add the crushed cardamom powder to the milk and mix well. switch off the flame.
- Blend the well boiled milk and the ada together and remove from the flame only when it reaches the consistency that makes it ready to serve
- Heat ghee and roast the cashew nuts and raisins and garnish on top.
You can make ada at home. Here is the recipe.
For making fresh ada:
Unnakkal ari (Raw rice) - 1 cup. Sugar - 3 tsp. Coconut - 1 tbsp.
- Wash the unakkalari well and either powder it or grind it.
- To this, add the sugar and the coconut oil, and mix it till it is slightly thinner than dosa batter consistency, but thick enough to be spread on a leaf.
- Tear the banana leaf into five portions, remove the fibre, and spread the batter on each leaf by hand. Flatten and smoothen it out.
- Place a vessel of water on the flame, and when it boils well, add the flattened ada into it.
- When the ada is cooked well, switch off the flame.
- Drain the water and when it cools, gently separate each ada from the leaf.
- Cut the ada into very small pieces.
- Now ada is ready for Pradhaman.
Note: see my other Ada Pradhaman recipe